Sponsored by Georgia Tech Center for Academic Enrichment and the Department of Housing-Residence Life, ThinkBig at Tech communities are designed to bring exciting out-of-the-classroom experiences to you through events, meaningful interactions with your peers and a professor, and a community where you are able to dive into a topic of your choice. This interaction is fun and engaging, allowing you to explore something outside the classroom—not more "homework!"
- Each community will have approximately 30 members
- Faculty will visit the hall once per week for either a "coffee hour" visit or a program/activity
- Monthly activities will be off campus at local venues and adventures
- Residents commit to participating in ThinkBig both Fall and Spring semesters
- All communities are housed in Apartment-style housing, except for WST and I-House, which will continue to be located in the Fourth Street Apartments
- Residents will form "Steering Committees” to work with faculty members to tailor the topic to growing and changing interests
- Designed to appeal to many types of residents, including different majors, interests, and genders
- Topic of your community does not have to align with your major, but it certainly can!
- Cost: $150 each semester for off-campus expenses, faculty time, and food — this is an academic fee and not a Housing charge, and you will not incur any more costs beyond this
- Studies show that students in living-learning communities such as Think Big are more connected socially and academically, thus they are more successful in college!
History of Living Learning Communities at Tech
In Fall of 2008 a task force was created to evaluate the results of a student engagement survey, which highlighted a need at Georgia Tech for a stronger intellectual community and more faculty-student interaction. The report from this task force and their recommendations led to the establishment of Living Learning Communities (LLC). A partnership between the Office of Undergraduate Studies and the Department of Housing was then formed to create ThinkBig, Tech's unique faculty-led living-learning communities program.